Badam Milk Benefits: A Beginner's Guide
Do you love the rich and creamy taste of milk with the nutty flavor and crunch of almonds? If yes, then you should try the badam milk recipe, which is a traditional Indian drink that is not only delicious but also nutritious. Badam milk is also known as badam doodh or almond milkshake, and it is a great drink to serve on any occasion and in
any season. In this blog post, I will show you how to make badam milk at home with simple ingredients and steps. I will also share some of the amazing badam milk benefits for your health, skin, and hair. Let’s get started!
What is Badam Milk?
Badam milk is a smooth and creamy drink that is prepared by blending soaked almonds with milk and sweetening it with sugar or condensed milk. It is flavored with cardamom powder and saffron strands, which give it a rich aroma and color. Badam milk is a popular drink in India, especially during festivals like Diwali, Holi, and Raksha Bandhan. It is also served as an after-school snack or a post-workout drink to boost energy and immunity.
Why Should You Drink Badam Milk?
Badam milk is not only tasty but also healthy. Here are some of the benefits of drinking badam milk:
- Milk is a good source of calcium, protein, vitamin D, potassium, and other nutrients that are essential for the growth, development, and maintenance of your body.
- Cardamom is a spice that has anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, and digestive properties. It also helps in relieving stress, improving blood circulation, and enhancing mood.
- Saffron is a precious spice that has anti-depressant, anti-cancer, anti-aging and aphrodisiac effects. It also helps in improving memory, vision, and skin complexion.
- Sugar or condensed milk adds sweetness and calories to your badam milk. You can adjust the amount according to your taste and preference.
How to Make Badam Milk at Home?
Making badam milk at home is very easy and quick. All you require is a handful of ingredients and a blending machine. Here are the steps to make badam milk at home:
Ingredients For Badam Milk
- 25-30 almonds (soaked overnight), peeled
- 3 1/4 cup milk
- 3 tbsp low-calorie sweetener or 4 tbsp condensed milk
- 1/4 tsp green cardamom powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp custard powder (optional)
- A pinch of saffron strands
- 1/4 cup fresh cream (optional)
Method For Making Badam Milk
- Heat 2 cups of milk in a non-stick deep pan, add low-calorie sweetener or condensed milk, green cardamom powder, and custard powder (if using), and mix well. Boil the mixture on low heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, put the almonds in a blender jar and add the remaining milk and blend to a smooth paste.
- Transfer the ground paste to the milk mixture and mix well. Simmer on low heat until it reaches boiling point for 5 minutes.
- Add saffron strands, mix well, and cook for another minute. Incorporate fresh cream (optional) and blend thoroughly. Take the pan off the heat.
- Refrigerate the badam milk till chilled or serve it hot as per your liking.
- Transfer into serving glasses and garnish with more saffron strands if desired.
Badam Milk Benefits for Health
Badam milk is a nutritious drink for all ages, from toddlers to seniors, including pregnant and postpartum women. Here are some of the badam milk benefits for health:
- Badam milk helps in improving brain health as almonds are rich in B complex vitamins such as vitamin B1, thiamine, vitamin B3, niacin and folate, vitamin B9 which play an important role in brain development, especially during the first 2 years of life. Furthermore, it contains high levels of manganese, a crucial mineral for brain and nerve function. This can enhance focus and memory retention.
- Badam milk helps in balancing your cholesterol levels as almonds are extremely rich in antioxidant flavonoids that pair up with vitamin E and scavenge free radicals that cause inflammation. Thus prevents the oxidation of LDL cholesterol. Hence almonds have a strong property of lowering LDL cholesterol. It can also help boost levels of beneficial cholesterol. It is also known to reduce HDL cholesterol. Maintaining a healthy balance between LDL and HDL cholesterol is essential for optimal blood cholesterol levels.
- Badam milk helps in keeping your heart healthy as almonds are an extremely rich source of MUFA which improves your overall heart health. Vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant, can help prevent plaque buildup in the arteries. Nuts such as walnuts, almonds, pistachios, and pine nuts make for healthy snacks as they are high in monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats. Almonds have phosphorus which works with B vitamins to maintain a normal heart rate.
- Badam milk helps in controlling diabetes as almonds have a very low glycemic index which does not let your blood sugar levels spike up immediately. Almonds are an ideal mix of high-quality monounsaturated fats and minimal carbohydrates. Badam milk also helps in regulating insulin levels and preventing insulin resistance.
- Badam milk helps in weight management as almonds are rich in protein and fiber which keep you full for longer and prevent overeating. Almonds also help in boosting metabolism and burn fat. Badam milk also helps in reducing belly fat as it contains monounsaturated fats that target the abdominal area.
- Badam milk helps in strengthening bones and teeth as almonds are rich in calcium and phosphorus which are essential for bone health. Almonds also help in preventing osteoporosis and fractures. Badam milk also helps in maintaining dental health as it prevents tooth decay and cavities.
- Badam milk helps in boosting immunity and fighting infections as almonds are rich in vitamin E, zinc, iron, and selenium which are vital for immune system functioning. Almonds also have anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal properties that help in preventing and curing various diseases.
Badam Milk Benefits for Skin
Badam milk is not only good for your health but also for your skin. Here are some of the badam milk benefits for skin:
- Badam milk helps in improving skin complexion and glow as almonds are rich in vitamin E, which is a powerful antioxidant that protects the skin from oxidative stress and UV damage. Almonds also help in nourishing and moisturizing the skin. Saffron also helps in enhancing skin color and radiance.
- Badam milk helps in preventing and treating acne and pimples as almonds have anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties that reduce inflammation and infection. Almonds also help in balancing oil production and unclogging the pores. Saffron also helps in healing acne scars and blemishes.
- Badam milk helps in delaying aging signs and wrinkles as almonds are rich in vitamin E, which boosts collagen production and elasticity of the skin. Almonds also help in repairing the skin cells and preventing sagging skin. Saffron also helps in reducing fine lines and age spots.
- Badam milk helps in soothing skin irritation and inflammation as almonds have anti-inflammatory properties that calm down the skin. Almonds also help in healing wounds, cuts, burns, and rashes. Saffron also helps in relieving itching and redness.
Also read: Badam Milk Powder
Badam Milk Benefits for Hair
Badam milk is not only good for your health and skin but also for your hair. Here are some of the badam milk benefits for hair:
- Badam milk helps in promoting hair growth and preventing hair loss as almonds are rich in protein, biotin, magnesium, zinc, and other nutrients that are essential for hair health. Almonds also help in stimulating blood circulation to the scalp and follicles. Saffron also helps in strengthening hair roots and preventing breakage.
- Badam milk helps in improving hair texture and shine as almonds are rich in vitamin E, which moisturizes and conditions the hair. Almonds also help in smoothing hair cuticles and preventing frizz. Saffron also helps in adding luster and softness to the hair.
- Badam milk helps in preventing premature graying of hair as almonds are rich in copper, which is involved in melanin production. Melanin is the pigment responsible for hair color. Almonds also help in protecting the hair from environmental damage. Saffron also helps in restoring natural hair color.
Badam milk is a delicious and nutritious drink that you can make at home with simple ingredients. It is perfect for any occasion and any season. It can refresh you in the summer and warm you up in the winter. It can also benefit your health, skin, and hair with its amazing nutrients. Try this badam milk recipe today and enjoy the goodness of almonds, milk, cardamom, and saffron.